My MiL sister lives less than a mile away and she has some visions for her home now that her oldest child is preparing to not only move out, but move a few states away, and her younger child is transitioning back home with his better half and young child. Since I am always one to want to help I have previously offered my handyman abilities to her and she finally requested my help.
- Replace 2 kitchen outlets with GFCI
- Replace 1 bathroom's GFCI and light switch
- Remove in-wall medicine cabinet, repair wall, add GFCI outlet
What I Did...
In the kitchen my AiL did not have GFCI outlets along her kitchen counter. So I picked up two brown outlets and face plates along with an old construction outlet box for one of the outlets. One of the outlets was in an area with brick facing on the wall and that outlet opening needed to be widened to accommodate the new outlet box.
The trouble I ran into was in navigating the home circuit breaker. My AiL's son was working the box for me and at one point in the project I couldn't get the power to work on this particular outlet and the reason was we kept flipping the wrong breaker switch. We had a good laugh but I was nervous because I was starting to panic and think my AiL would need to call in a pro.
The end result was a successful installation of 2 GFCI outlets and safety in the kitchen!
In the bathroom I needed to remove the existing GFCI/light switch combo and replace the box. This was simple and took about 6 minutes to remove and rewire and install the new box!
The end result was a GFCI that wasn't pulling away from the wall and was now usable!
I've gotten very good at taping and mudding so this was the most fun task I took on.
I removed the existing medicine cabinet/light combo from the wall which left a whole that was 27.5 x 22.5. My AiL said she would just put a large mirror over the whole; joking of course! I initially looked for a new in-wall unit to replace the old and I would simply add a GFCI just to the right of the unit. Well a 30 yr old medicine cabinet is an irreplaceable treasure. So I recommended that I fill in the hole and she get a mirror to which she agreed.
I added some new 2x4's in the wall to frame and support new drywall. Part of the process included the accommodation of running the existing wiring to where the new outlet would be. The outlet installed very easily and the drywall had no issues and the tape and mud job was superior!
Here's the finished result...